Tuesday 3 February 2015

Filming: Session 2

I've let blog updates fall by the wayside for the last few weeks due to the hectic pattern of filming and editing, but now that shooting is over I have time to retrospectively review the two other days on-set.

The session begun as if some higher power was purposefully working against us whilst loudly, obnoxiously laughing. We were scheduled to meet on Sunday morning at 10, outside of school. We had some problems with transportation (the actress for Mal, Kalyani, was coming from a different part of London and needed to go home to change into costume, whilst mine and Clara's lift was postponed due to her sister taking precedence). We could always have taken public transport, but I didn't cherish the thought, as I was the one in charge of all the equipment. In the end, we resolved to meet at 10:30. Clara and I were lifted to the nearby park for her mother's convenience, and I messaged Adam that we'd meet him and Kalyani straight at Lover's Walk. However, I made the fatal mistake of asking him to send me the postcode so we could walk there via Google Maps, since Clara and I aren't local to the area and therefore had little idea of where to go. After Adam sent us to the wrong location twice (and we at one point ironically walked straight through where we were supposed to go, not noticing because the gate we expected to see had been removed), I told Adam and Kalyani to come pick us up from a street corner. I then revoked Adam carry the equipment I'd been dragging from place to place for the better part of an hour as punishment for his inability to copy-paste an address line. Mostly, I'm just sorry for the pressure we put on our actresses, especially Clara who had requested we film as quickly as possible because she was having a bad week for homework... But I digress.

The rest of filming, fortunately, went about as smoothly as it could. The vital shots on that godforsaken side path were completed within about 20 mins, and we then took the bus to Clapham Common, where we filmed the rest of Al's scenes and finally allowed at least one of our put-upon actresses to go home. Mal's waking up shots didn't take long either and, in the end, we finished with a few hours of daylight to spare and the better part of the evening ahead of us.

The footage came out just fine. There were a few pieces of dialogue that we filmed but didn't use the sound equipment for, which was perhaps lazy of us, but I'm not sure it would have made a difference anyway as the microphones are very sensitive and there was both wind and an endless barrage of people surrounding us on location. The important thing is, the words are audible, and even if we do decide to dub it the process of recording will take two actors and five minutes. The only visual problem is that, at one point, the sloping angle of the satanic path we for some reason chose as our location makes it look like the camera is tilted. Hopefully, we won't have to go back there and re-shoot. If we do, I'm sending Adam alone.

DY

No comments:

Post a Comment